Naming and devlabel (was Re: [cgl_discussion] [Fwd: [ogfs-dev]EVMS 2.0 with cluster support])

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 3 10:29:55 PST 2003

John Cherry wrote:

> Pai,
>
> Thanks for the clarification on naming.  I was not implying that EVMS
> was going to address the consistent naming in a cluster at the device
> level.  However, if all "shared" devices are encapsulated in shared
> containers, then we have consistent volume names in the cluster.

Does anyone have experience with 'devlabel', apparently done by folks at
Dell?
http://www.dell.com/us/en/esg/topics/power_ps1q03-lerhaupt.htm
http://www.lerhaupt.com/linux.html

A RH Linux 9 review (http://www.gurulabs.com/RedHatLinux9-review.html)
lists devlabel as being included, to deal with the issue:
"There has been a longstanding issue in Linux in that in the face of OS
changes or hardware failures, storage devices can "move" to different
locations. For example, although IDE devices have their physical path
hardcoded into their device name, eg /dev/hdc3, SCSI devices are not."

I ask because I've never heard of it, but it seems to address some of
our concerns.  I haven't read all of the material, I don't know if it's
tightly tied to Oracle support (although it does help support Oracle.)

> John
>
> On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 15:22, Ram Pai wrote:

> > We support cluster wide **volume** device naming. What this means is
> > that EVMS volumes created on Shared containers will show up as a
> > volume device with the same name on all cluster nodes.
> >
> > And from the discussion with the OpenGFS folks today, I understand
> > that this is what they want.
> >
> > Pools can be replaced with EVMS volume devices residing on shared container.
> > However we do not have an equivalent of a sub-pool.
> >
> > We are eager to receive feedback, and requirements that drives our future
> > development.
> >
> > Thanks,

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.