[cgl_discussion] [Fwd: [Dcl_tech_board] Linux Kernel Crash Dump (LKCD) evaluation]

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Mon Apr 14 07:53:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 17:25, John Cherry wrote:
(...)
> Steve is proposing a mini crash dump project that has a chance of
> mainline acceptance.  This would be beneficial to DCL, CGL, and the
> community at large.
>
> Please give Steve your feedback on this proposal.  I know there has been
> some work going on with network dumps, so if you feel that an existing
> project might be a good baseline for the mini crash dump project, please
> sync up with Steve.

There have been plenty of emails like this (i.e. "there is this cool
project, why don't we/CGL-WG work on it?") basically since the beginning
of CGL, and so far the results (i.e. started projects) on this kind of
input is zero, nada, nichts, 0.

So I think I can pretty conclusively say that this is not the right way.

Instead what I would think is the right way is to post here and say
"I have started working on project X, it address feature Y in CGL specs,
here is a link to the project page and here is a link to the source
tree, come help me out if you wish." i.e. if you feel something needs to
be done, start working on it and once you have a start (no matter how
minimal), come to here and see if people are willing to help.

Coming back to the subject, yeah I think netdump over LKCD makes sense,
especially with diskless units... So why don't Steve go and start such a
project, and then come back here to ask for help?

--MiKu