[cgl_discussion] Request for HPI usage information

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.co.intel.com
Tue Apr 15 16:31:01 PDT 2003

The OpenHPI (http://openhpi.sf.net) is currently working through some of
the very basic design questions that any new software project would have
to answer.  One thing that we (wearing my OpenHPI hat) need from the CGL
working group is some information on how an HPI will be used on Linux in
a carrier environment, so basically usage information.

I know there is a lot to this question, but please help us with at least
the following basic questions:

* What kind of memory foot print is acceptable for OpenHPI?

    Are we talking about systems with only a few precious bits of RAM, a
    normal mid-range kind of pizza box, or a big monster DB server?

* What kind of persistence foot print is acceptable for OpenHPI?

    Are we talking about a system that the entire operating system loads
    out of 16M or 32M of flash, or is libohpi.so going to be loaded from
    some network drive?

    --rustyl