[cgl_discussion] Buffer overflow

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Wed Apr 16 08:49:19 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 08:40, Wilson, Andrew wrote:
> As the original article points out, there are techniques for defeating
> buffer overflows that are processor-independent, such as placing
> the stack at different locations in memory.  We could, if we
> wanted to, draft a requirement for stack integrity countermeasures
> which would be architecture-independent.

Yes. But I think the issue I have (and I suspect lot of people on LKML)
is that this feels like curing the user space symptoms in the kernel,
instead of fixing the disease i.e. sloppy coding in applications.

But as Julie pointed out, this could well be added to the "paranoid"
section of CGL v2 Security section.

--MiKu