[cgl_discussion] Buffer overflow

Makan Pourzandi (LMC) Makan.Pourzandi at ericsson.ca
Wed Apr 16 15:37:01 PDT 2003

Hi,

My first reaction is to wait and see. Even if open bsd has a very good reputation (I mean regarding security), we have to wait for 1st May.

Second, open bsd has always been more on advance at security than linux. In best case, it will take some time before those modification get into linux kernel. hopefully, this will not generate too many flames ;-)

last but not least, there are already linux kernel patches regarding buffer overflows, one of the ones I know of is http://www.openwall.com/linux/README,  which implements Non-executable user stack area.  open wall is also implemented as a lsm module but at my knowledge not all functionality available by openwall is provided by the lsm module.

regards,
makan