[cgl_discussion] How do I develop an SS7 probe?

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Sun Apr 20 20:06:20 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 23:29, Sune Ahlgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to develop an SS7 probe. I want to tap into SS7 signalling links
> without being an STP myself. For certain messages I want to trig my
> application to execute. How do I go about this?

Ahh.. SS7.. almost brings a tear to my eye to be reminded of the days
when business was called "telecom" and signalling was SS7 ... :-)

Well, the only real SS7 stuff under Open Source and for Linux I know
about it the OpenSS7 project: http://www.openss7.org/, but quick look
at their web site does not reveal any monitoring stuff.

Of course there are lot of commercial SS7 monitoring projects, which
a quick search on Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+ss7
brings plenty of links.

Which also tells you why we consider SS7 to be "above the value line"
and so not addressed.

> I develop using C++/Java in an Intel/Linux environment.
>
> - Any hardware suggestions that can cope with the kind of traffic of large
> GSM/3G network?

If you plan to do anything fancier than monitor a single link with a PC,
then you definitely need a (expensive :-) commercial product.

> - Does any open source development exist which address this problem or parts
> of it?

Well, like I said, the OpenSS7 is your best shot.

Cheers!