[cgl_discussion] Buffer overflow

Bill Roy bill.roy at openwave.com
Tue Apr 22 17:24:27 PDT 2003

Hello CGLers:

My first post as an interested bystander who has been monitoring for a
while.

I fully agree with the technical merit of this suggestion to raise the
intrinsic security baseline of Linux distributions for operators.
Non-executable stack should have been part of every baseline architecture
for decades.

But, I have a question; I hope you will forgive me if this is a stupid one.
Where would CGL get market validation for making an item like this one
mandatory?  I have seen several completely reasonable technical points
raised in this thread, but no input from, for example, operators or SI's
responsible for deploying and maintaining these service complexes to
validate that this represents an item that will remove an obstacle to
deployment of Linux in the operator.  Surely, there must be some
counterbalance of market requirements against technical goodness in arriving
at requirements sets for CGL.

I have a similar observation for some of the mandatory 2.0 features in the
Security section, for example the ones regarding secure syslog.  What
deployment would not already have syslog on a secure management network?

So, to restate my question: I see great technical discussions going on here;
where does market validation come from?

I sit on the Board of OMA and SyncML; we also struggle with this question
all the time.  I'm keenly interested in your thoughts on the process in CGL.

My opinions, not Openwave's.

Best regards,

-br