[cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] [ANNOUNCE] OSDL Whitepaper: "Reducing System Reboot Time With Kexec"

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Thu Apr 24 11:24:50 PDT 2003

  So questions and comments are being accepted?

     The actual values from the measurements in an appendix
     would be helpful.  Including the boot time breakdown
     for the 8 way.

     On your chart, the time saved column is distracting to
     me as it is extra data.  On the relative percentage column
     if it could be kexec/full boot that would make it so that
     I wouldn't have to go back to the text to understand the
     column.  Also on the kernel boot time, I think that you
     are talking about the kernel init time.  So why not call
     it that?

  On future and ongoing work.
     The crash dump seems to be orthogonal to fast booting.  I
     would like to see future and ongoing work that applies to
     fast booting.

Tim