[cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] [ANNOUNCE] OSDL Whitepaper: "Reducing System Reboot Time With Kexec"

Andy Pfiffer andyp at osdl.org
Thu Apr 24 13:55:27 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 11:24, Timothy D. Witham wrote:
>   So questions and comments are being accepted?

Sure.

>      The actual values from the measurements in an appendix
>      would be helpful.  Including the boot time breakdown
>      for the 8 way.
     On your chart, the time saved column is distracting to
>      me as it is extra data.
     On the relative percentage column
>      if it could be kexec/full boot that would make it so that
>      I wouldn't have to go back to the text to understand the
>      column.

Fair enough.  The 8-way measurements aren't currently available because
that specific system has been assigned to another OSDL Lab Associate.

>      Also on the kernel boot time, I think that you
>      are talking about the kernel init time.  So why not call
>      it that?

I was hoping to avoid dancing around the semantics and interpretation of
"booted" vs. "initialized".  I guess that didn't work as well as I had
hoped. ;^)

>   On future and ongoing work.
>      The crash dump seems to be orthogonal to fast booting.  I
>      would like to see future and ongoing work that applies to
>      fast booting.
>
> Tim

Thanks for taking the time to generate feedback.

Andy