[cgl_discussion] Re: Buffer overflow

Makan Pourzandi (LMC) Makan.Pourzandi at ericsson.ca
Mon Apr 28 08:16:25 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Sorry, I am late in the discussion.

Greg thank you for the information regarding openwall. I'll add the references for ProPolice and StackGuard to the doc, and remove the reference for openwall.

Regarding specifying a specific version of gcc, IMO, it would be restraining the distros. All requirements have been defined with in mind that distros must be free to choose among different existing solutions, including creating/developing their own solution. Personally, I'll go with something more general like: "Support for buffer overflows protection mechanisms" and put these protections as references, main reason for this is that we want to have the functionality: being able to protect the system against the buffer overflows and let the distros to choose among existing solutions: ProPolice,... The references which we give for each requirement are just to show the feasibility and giving a hint on possible solutions. any comments?

I hope that it clarified thing,

Best regards,
makan