[cgl_discussion] Re: Buffer overflow

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Mon Apr 28 14:15:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 14:02, Makan Pourzandi (LMC) wrote:
(...)
> > Some questions:
> > - Were we also going to add a reference to Openwall -
> > http://www.openwall.com/linux for non-executable user stack area?
>
> from what Greg told us and what I read (which is far away to be a
> complete lecture on the open wall), if I understood well, there are
> not many chances that this patch will be accepted to the linux main
> line and we have already several other valid references. therefore, I
> suggest not adding this reference to the doc. Any comments on open
> wall?

Well, I do not have an opinion about this project, but there are several
features in CGL specs that point to projects that have little or no chance
to get into main line kernel (like various kernel debuggers).

But that does not mean that they do not address the needed functionality
and so are and will be deployed by the distros who wish to sell their
products in CGL business segment. And this is the reason why our mainline
definition includes two or more distro adoptions.

So resistance from kernel developers on a certain feature is a thing to be
noted, yes, but not a reason to drop a feature. On the other hand, resistance
from NEP's _is_ a reason to drop feature, so I think we need some NEP feedback
on this. Btw, last time I checked, Ericsson was defined as a NEP: what is your
opinion on the importance of this feature?