[cgl_discussion] RE: [Fwd: hotswap and CGL (fwd)]

Bloch, Jack Jack.Bloch at icn.siemens.com
Wed Apr 30 13:15:56 PDT 2003

Thanks for your response. Maybe I should clarify a little. We are currently
evaluating two Linux distro's (namely SuSE's SLES8 and MontaVista). Both are
based on 2.4 kernels but purport to support the CGL 1.1 spec including
hotswap. I ran chckconfig and hotplug is on.

I wriote a simple driver for a cPCI board which has a hotswap PCI controller
(in a cPCI chassis). The driver declares a MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE and has a
simple probe and remove routine. When I load the driver via insmod, I see
the probe routine get called for each device in the system and the remove
routine is called on rmmod. What I do not see however, is the probe routine
get called on insertion or on removal of device. There are a couple of
possibilitioes here. Either their hotswap implementation is not working or
the board is not generating the correct PCI signals/interrupts. Do you have
any idea of how the sequence of events is supposed to be when I open the
ejector handle?

My understanding is as follows.

An NMI occurs on affected board.
Board should generate the #ENUM signal
An ISR should be linked to #ENUM and should scan the device and call the
correct driver.

The above is a little high level but maybe you can clarify for me.

Jack Bloch
Siemens ICN
phone                (561) 923-6550
e-mail                jack.bloch at icn.siemens.com