[cgl_discussion] [Fwd: hotswap and CGL (fwd)]

Rusty Lynch rusty at linux.co.intel.com
Wed Apr 30 14:19:26 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 12:58, Mika Kukkonen wrote:
> Please use cgl_discussion for CGL related questions; info at osdl.org
> is something totally different ...
>
> What comes to your question, there already is a lot of hotswap
> functionality in 2.5 kernel, here is one place to look for
> information:
> 	http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/?selected=pci
>
> Of course some of the CGL compliant distros have implemented
> additional stuff on top of that; I'll let them to comment on that.
>
> --MiKu

The kernel hotswap infrastructure was extended in the 2.5 kernel to
support cPCI.

Some specific info:
* The code can be found in linux/drivers/hotplug/cpci_*
* Scott Murry <scottm at somanetworks.com> maintains the cpci specific
source, and Greg Kroah-Hartman <greg at kroah.com> is the owner of the
entire hotswap infrastructure.
* The infrastructure allows a hotswap system to be design like PICMG
describes by writing a user space component to interface with the
hotswap infrastructure via sysfs.  (Scott published a GPL version of
such a user space component, but I do not recall the URL.)

    --rustyl