[cgl_discussion] [Fwd: hotswap and CGL (fwd)]

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Wed Apr 30 14:02:26 PDT 2003

Jack,

If you intend to use Compact PCI in linux kernel 2.4, the only hotswap
support is available that I am aware of is MontaVista's Compact PCI
PICMG 2.12 implmentation.  The hotswap software works exactly as
described in the PICMG 2.12 specification.

In MontaVista's implementation, there is support for bus management for
hotswapped devices.  Currently only network interfaces can be
hotswapped, but the ifconfig of the device is automatic.  We also
support backplane networking hotswap via MontaVista NET which treats the
backplane PCI like a network interface (that you can use as a standard
routable network interface).  If you hotswap scsi devices on a carrier
board for example, the bus would be properly managed, but the SCSI layer
doesn't include support to remove the physical devices or disks on the
devices from the OS.  They could be closed down and the module unloaded,
and then the hotswap code could be executed.

Other sorts of hotswap are supported such as ATCA hotswap of CPU, DISK,
and SWITCH devices and disk hotswap that you may not find well
implemented in the standard linux kernel but are implemented by MontaVista.

Hope this helps
Thanks
-steve