[cgl_discussion] Advanced TCA breakout from Ottawa F2F

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Aug 5 14:44:40 PDT 2003

Folks,
One of my ARs from Ottawa F2F was breaking up the ATCA hotswap
components into something more manageable.  Here are those requirements
broken into 3 easy to digest requirements.

I welcome debate on this subject so we can hone these requirements (or
drop them if desired by the specs group).  We should also consider
priorities.

Thanks
-steve

Requirement: Block Device Removal
The Linux kernel should allow removal of a block device while it is in
use ensuring the kernel has a consistent view of the removal.  The block
device shall be removeable even if in use by an open file (fdisk
/dev/sda), a raid volume, or a filesystem or multiples thereof.

Requirement: shutdown systemcall integrated with one or more ATCA boards
The Linux system shall ensure that the poweroff command, when calling
the shutdown system call, powers down the system and lights the blue led
on the board poweroff is executed.  The init scripts for shutdown shall
be executed, the kernel reboot notifiers shall be executed, and the
state of the system at poweroff should be as if the system was properly
shut down.

Requirement: Multiple Host Syncronized Device Hotswap
When multiple hosts are using the same block or character device, and a
user requests to remove the device, the device's blade wont be powered
off and if a blue led is available, lit, until all systems in the
collection of machines using the device have removed the device from
their respective Linux system.