[cgl_discussion] new requirement about ARP cache updating on client machine based on Linux

Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr
Tue Aug 12 05:50:54 PDT 2003

Hi Peter,

This is not a slam !

This is the third new requirement i propose on this list since 2.0 has been
closed, and i hope having more feed back
from the lists than for the two first.
Note: The two first are: 1) scheduling priority configuration on Linux
internal threads
            2) RR quantum configuration.

This requirement is more cluster related and more precisely HA related.
I have the feed back that currently when one want to migrate an IP address
from one machine to
another one on a local network using ifconfig, the ARP caches on the
clients remains with
the last value for a while, whereas ther's a need to switchover on the new
address immediatly.
So , it seems that Linux doesn't send a gratuitous ARP upon ifconfig like
some other OS ( Solaris, Tru64 ...).
Then HA implementations have to send this message "by hand".

I would like to get a confirmation of this behavior for the last Linux
releases, and ask for a change in Linux if every body agree.

Best regards,
eric