[cgl_discussion] requirements for configurable Round Robin quantum and 1 ms tick

Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr
Wed Aug 13 06:07:54 PDT 2003

Hi Peter,

PRF 1.0 says "CGL shall provide the capability of configuring the scheduler
to provide soft real time support so that real time scheduling latency of a
given task will not exceed a target defined by the vendor. Based on
commodity hardware commonly supported by Linux, latency responses in the
range of 10 to 15 ms should be considered reasonnable and likely"

I agree my proposal fit in PRF 1.0, but it is very more specific as it
applies to Round Robin policy only and ask for
a configurable maximum quantum allowing to switch a task and queue it at
the end of the list of task competing with the same priority
when it has kept the processor for more than the quantum. The second part
is to allow 1 ms tick on Intel architecture.

So , i agree it can be presented as a subrequirement of PFR 1.0 provided we
update it
(is it still possible to update 2.0 the req. spec. ? ) or then integrated
as a new one in 3.0.

PS/ i think that maybe detailed requirements have more chance to be
accepted and implemented as they
can be simply understood without any confusion.

Eric

Peter Badovinatz <tabmowzo at us.ibm.com>@westrelay02.boulder.ibm.com on
08/12/2003 07:13:14 PM

Sent by:    wombat at westrelay02.boulder.ibm.com