[cgl_discussion] libevent & epoll

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Thu Aug 14 08:45:37 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 05:59, Frederic Rossi (LMC) wrote:
> To compare what?? AEM can be combined with signals, epoll or select.
						      =====
Could you explain how you combine AEM with epoll, as that is new to me?
Anyway I think the general "feeling" seems to be, that of those three
methods you listed, epoll has most potential use in CGL.

> Each of these mechanisms provides different solutions for different
> kind of problems. Find your problem then you will find your solution.
>
> AEM is proposing one solution for Telecom applications running in the
> context of a carrier-grade Linux as described in
> http://aem.sourceforge.net/reports/AEM_cgl_reqts_draft0.6.pdf

I have said this earlier and will now say it again: until you get the
other NEP's in CGL convinced of AEM's "exceptional qualities", AEM is
not going any further in CGL, meaning that I will be happy to keep it
as a PoC reference, but that is it.

And now that we seem to have an alternative (until proven otherwise)
with libevent + epoll, WHICH IS ALREADY MAINLINED (i.e. epoll is in
2.5/2.6 and I can download libevent RPM to my rh9), I strongly suggest
that Specs-sg add that as a PoC reference to relevant requirements.

> Mika:
> At Ottawa (or a few days before) we also said that if your are satisfied
> with epoll+lib, then just use it.

Yes.