[cgl_discussion] ANNOUNCE: OSDL Clusters (foundational components)

Jon Maloy jon.maloy at ericsson.com
Mon Dec 1 06:51:40 PST 2003

See below.
Regards /jon

john cherry wrote:

Jon,

The intent of this announcement was to inform the community that three

open clustering projects are underway.  You are very aware of this.  I'm

not sure what you are saying about "going out" with these projects.  We

have been going down the path of parallel TIPC implementations for quite

some time.  The focus of the OSDL project is to give TIPC the best
chance

of being incorporated into the "mainline" (either the base kernel or

general distro acceptance).  Much work has been done to remove the

additional complexity and overhead involved in portability and to
leverage

Linux capabilities such as memory management and list handling. The
focus

of the Ericsson project has been portability.  More recently, you have

also focused on mainline Linux acceptance as well,

but these goals may be

mutually exclusive.

I have all along claimed they are not, and I think this is well proven
in my tipc-1.3.03
version at SourceForge (although it is not finished yet).
A little more humbleness from  Mika from the  beginning would have
brought him to
the same result, and their version would have been *our* version by now.

About overhead/complexity because of portability: I think my version is
still faster than Mika's
and Marks. And a sourcelinecount (try sclc) on the two versions says all
about complexity.

As we discussed earlier, the intent is to revisit

both implementations in a few weeks and evaluate them both for mainline

acceptability.

Good.  Although I thought this was due to be done *before* your
announcement, not after.
Right now, I have the feeling that Mika is running his own race,
announcing TIPC to LKML
under his name (and I guess with the intention that he is  to be
"Maintainer").

This attitude has to change if there is going to be any cooperation at
all.

It is not the intent of OSDL to "compete" with member companies, but

rather to accellerate the adoption of *Linux* by working with the Linux

community to develop a clusterable OS.

John

Neither was it ever discussed why OSDL *must* go out with their own

version of TIPC, despite numerous invitations from Ericsson to cooperate

about the project.

We may now be in the unfortunate situation that we will have one OSDL-

version of TIPC, 95% based on the Ericsson version, occupying symbol

space in Linux kernel, and  which we, Ericsson, the originator of the

concept and code, can not use.  This apart from the fact that we seem to

 have no  influence

on the further development of the code, -all my suggestions for

retaining a minimum level of portability and usefulness for ourselves

have been  manifestly

ignored.

- And another version, very similar, still maintained by Ericsson, and

likely

to be part of different distros by 2004.

Maybe it is time for OSDL to start considering cooperaton here, instead

of competing

with our own customers (and sponsors).

Regards /Jon

Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr <mailto:Eric.Chacron at alcatel.fr>  wrote:

Hi,

I read your announcement this morning and the comments from Lars ,

Steve and Jon.

I have been involved in CGL clustering spec as you know.

Let me just say two things:

1) we have never made a common discussion (excepted your 30 minuts

presentation in Portland )

and decision on this new project to have these 3 services (TIPC,

memebership end event)

delivered as a new cluster infrastructure and i understand Lars point

of view.

Is the goal just to have an annoucement  to LKML from OSDL or is it to

build a serious architecture

answering CGL requirements ?

2) technically speaking :

It could make sense to have these services implemented in kernel mode

and this is not the point for me.

The point is to define why these 3 items and why not others.

How an application may use these services to have HA ...

I think we have not really discussed neither the features nor the

architecture.

How your AIS will plug on that ...

Eric

John Cherry   <mailto:cherry at osdl.org> <cherry at osdl.org>@lists.osdl.org