[cgl_discussion] ANNOUNCE: OSDL Clusters (foundational components)

Jon Maloy jon.maloy at ericsson.com
Mon Dec 1 16:13:00 PST 2003

/jon

Mika Kukkonen wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 06:05, Jon Maloy wrote:

(...)

We may now be in the unfortunate situation that we will have one OSDL-

version of TIPC, 95% based on the Ericsson version, occupying symbol
space

in Linux kernel, and  which we, Ericsson, the originator of the concept
and

code, can not use.  This apart from the fact that we seem to  have no

influence on the further development of the code,

Welcome to the world of Open Source and GPL... Might I point out, that

this is something you and your company should have considered a year ago

when you made the decision to GPL TIPC code. You have let the source

code out with GPL license, and there is no way you to revoke and regain

control of it. Learn to live with it instead of whining.

Our intention was to get something useful in return for opening up the
code. So far
we have seen precious little of that.

 -all my suggestions for retaining a

minimum level of portability and usefulness for ourselves  have been

manifestly ignored.

Because the code you want to keep to do it is ugly as hell and makes it

impossible for us to even dream about mainline acceptance. And that is

only goal _I_ care about, getting TIPC into mainline.

I think your comment speaks for itself, relating to what I said in an
earlier mail
about attitude.
Have you even *looked* at my develop branch at SF ??

- And another version, very similar, still maintained by Ericsson, and

likely to be part of different distros by 2004.

I'll believe this when I see it, and then react to it as needed.

See above.

Maybe it is time for OSDL to start considering cooperaton here, instead

of competing with our own customers (and sponsors).

Do not _ever_ use a word "customer" to describe the relationship between

OSDL and it's sponsors; not only it is incorrect, it can potentially

cause us a lot of harm. In fact, I think you should do more thinking

overall about what you want to achieve by your email before posting into

a public mailing list.

Having said that, I hope that this cross-posting to several email lists

stops here.

NOW it stops.