[cgl_discussion] Hardware support for IPSec

Makan Pourzandi (LMC) Makan.Pourzandi at ericsson.ca
Wed Feb 5 15:18:11 PST 2003

Hi, =

Useful info regarding hardware support for IPSec: =

http://samba.org/~jamesm/crypto/hardware_notes.txt

the above link comments on the crypto hardware support, even if I didn't ch=
eck all cards, many of the cards mentioned in the doc support ipsec.  =

In the doc, there is no mention of intel cards. Is it possible for Intel pe=
ople to find out if there is any support for hardware crypto/ipsec support =
from Intel? =

Any info or comments regarding a standard API for crypto card support? Is t=
here somebody who knows what happened to a standard hardware crypto API pro=
posed I believe by James Morris?

Makan  =

from the document: =

Hardware documentation status:

  HiFn
    Documentation for Hifn cards available via download at their web site.
  =

  IBM
    Can provide driver source for the card, and some general documentation =
is
    available at http://www.ibm.com/security/cryptocards/
    Software development toolkit is export controlled (contact IBM for more
    info).
    =

  Motorola
      http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MPC190UM.pdf
      http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MPC184UM.pdf
    =

  Intel
    Crypto documentation for NICs unavailable.
    =

  3COM
    Crypto documentation for NICs unavailable.
    =

  Broadcom
    In disucssion.
    =

  AEP/Baltimore
    Limited documentation available, can study the existing driver code.
    =

  Corrent
    Unknown (not contacted yet).
   =

  Eracom
    Contacted some time ago, documentation had to be purchased (expensive).
    Not sure if this has changed.
    =

  Safenet
    Unknown (not contacted yet).  =

  =

GPL Driver status:

  HiFn 7751
    James Morris (in progress).
  =

  HiFn 7951
    David Bryson (in progress).
    Also see http://sourceforge.net/projects/hifn7951/
  =

  HiFn 7901
    See http://sources.colubris.com/en/projects/FreeSWAN/
    =

  Motorola MPC190, MPC184
    Steve (in progress).
    =

  IBM 4758
    Available from IBM on request.

  AEP paep
    A dual licensed GPL/BSD driver available with some kernels (Red Hat 7.2=
+).

  BCM5820
    GPL driver available with some kernels (Red Hat).