[cgl_discussion] Hardware support for IPSec

Makan Pourzandi (LMC) Makan.Pourzandi at ericsson.ca
Thu Feb 6 09:04:52 PST 2003

Hi Randy,
I was talking about crypto card support, not sw support. The crypto API doc which you refer to is in the security document as a reference from the first draft. Actually, I was refering to the following email posted to linux kernel mailing list, 15 Dec 2002:

[RFC] Hardware support notes for the kernel crypto API (2.5+)
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.1/1507.html
http://www.kerneli.org/pipermail/cryptoapi-devel/2002-December/000333.html

from the email:
"The focus at the moment is on gathering the requirements for generic
hardware crypto devices, which can be used to assist kernel components
(e.g. IPsec, CIFS), and userspace applications (e.g. SSL, IKE).  Some work
has begun on obtaining documentation from vendors and developing clean GPL
drivers."

regarding your comments about ipsec hardware support in 2.5.x, I have not yet used the crypto in 2.5.x but from what I've seen from 2.5.52 source code, the crypto implementation for now seems to be purely software. IMO, the support comes when you have api usable by crypto-api or else to write drivers for cards supporting ipsec.

Regards,
Makan