[cgl_discussion] Re: device enumeration

Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com
Fri Feb 7 10:49:04 PST 2003

> Performance is _so_ critical here, because if the removal
> operation is
> fast enough, there is no phsyical way to remove the device from the
> slot/bus/whatever before the OS has removed the device from the
> operating system data structures.

Then change /sbin/hotplug ... its main benefit is your are NOT constrained
by a model. Make it pass, real fast, it's parameters to a daemon that is
already running via the fastest method you can devise [eg: shared memory].

Then have a process mmap & lock a binary /sbin/hotplug to have it
permanently cached and avoid the startup overhead.

I bet you can beat 20ms and whatever, although I don't think an operator
will be able to tell the difference between 20ms and 1s - it is going to
take so much time to shut the system down that those 20ms are going to be
meaningless ...

Inaky Perez-Gonzalez -- Not speaking for Intel - opinions are my own [or my
fault]