[cgl_discussion] Re: device enumeration

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Fri Feb 7 12:02:15 PST 2003

Not commenting the code :-)

On pe, 2003-02-07 at 11:19, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
(...)
> Still, if you are going to extract something, is because the NOC operator
> noticed it was failing, right? well, I bet he can disable it as soon as he

Actually upgrading is probably more common case than failure.

> notices it or in time for the $10/hour worker to get there and just unplug
> it.

Actually as far as I recall customer support guys etc. people from TEMs
who visit customer sites are very well paid, at least looking from R&D
perspective :-)

I think the example Steve is using comes not from CSC guys working on
carrier sites, but lazy testers on telco testing labs frying cards
because they think "they know better" (or whatever you want to call
the syndrome of not doing things by the book because you are lazy).

But that does not mean that I agree with /sbin/hotplug concept, nor
that Steve is wrong about performance requirements. I think further
feedback from distros and their customers on how this feature is going
to be done and used on 2.6 kernels is needed.