[cgl_discussion] TIPC

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Thu Feb 13 16:12:15 PST 2003

On to, 2003-02-13 at 15:20, Jon Maloy wrote:
(...)
>> Sure, reading and conforming to "Documentation/CodingStyle" and
>> checking code with "scripts/Lindent" should be required steps
>> to everybody who plans to Open Source existing propietary code.
>
> Remember the code was originally written in C++, and I have partially
> kept that style, simply because I like it. Neither is the "TIPC Core" code
> specifically > written for Linux, which is why you will see a difference
> in coding style between that code and the (linux specific) adaptation
> code. If changing the coding style is an absolute condition for having
> the code accepted (it is a module, not kernel code), sure, I will
> adapt, but I am not a great fan of the eigth-space-indentation-
> all-lowercase style.

Truth to be told, neither am I, but neither yours or my likings have
anything to do with this if we want to see this in mainline. Remember
that getting code into mainline means that the kernel people accept some
level of responsibility of maintaining it, and they really want the code
look the way they like at that point.

Anyway, this rewriting will anyway be part of splitting this into
smaller "digestable" pieces. And as this is Open Source effort, I sure
hope you will get lots of help in doing that from other people around
here...

--MiKu