[cgl_discussion] TIPC

John Cherry cherry at osdl.org
Fri Feb 14 09:22:15 PST 2003

Rod,

As we discussed at the face to face, a cluster membership mechanism
built on top of TIPC is the architecture we should pursue.  The
membership layer is a piece of the puzzle that is missing and would be a
great PoC project.

The membership layer would address all the interesting aspects of the
cluster that we have bantered about (cluster definition, membership
definition, active cluster definition - quorum, voting, etc.).

OSDL (Joe DiMartino in particular) is coming up with a cluster
architecture description based on the cluster stack that we talked about
at the face to face.  The basic stack (from the bottom up) includes the
communication layer (this is where TIPC comes in), the membership layer
(this is what determines the (sub)cluster definition), the distributed
lock manager (to manage shared resources), the group messaging layer and
finally cluster-aware applications (starting with shared device
naming/management and moving up to the clustered filesystem).  We'll try
to get the "OSDL Cluster Architecture" document out next week for review
and feedback.

John