[cgl_discussion] RE: [Hardeneddrivers-discuss] about

Lynch, Rusty rusty.lynch at intel.com
Fri Feb 14 09:53:25 PST 2003

You are correct; the last couple of weeks have been slow.  This has been
mainly due to the fact that two of the active developers have been on
vacation (Chinese New Year), and also due to the fact that I have been
focusing on a couple of other activities.

As for as the device driver hardening specification... the idea suffered a
bloody death when it was finally pitched to LKML.  Although there were a
couple of aspects to driver hardening that the community (LKML) did find
interesting, one of those was the idea enabling fault injection testing and
the other creating a HOWTO document to aid driver developers in creating
robust device drivers.

The fault injection fall out spawned http://fault-injection.sf.net, and that
is what I focused on.

IMHO the original needs that triggered the whole device driver hardening
specification are still relevant, and might be addressed (in some form) in
the version 2 CGL requirements that are currently being debated.

By original needs, I mean that everyone and their dog is releasing "hardened
device drivers" for Linux.  What exactly does that mean? An attempt to
specify how the driver is implemented surfaced a lot of fundamental problems
with the approach.

Personally I think the answer might be to specify a general test plan
instead of specifying API's and coding styles that the driver uses.  I would
expect that test plan to include fault injection testing to prove the driver
responds _correctly_ to fault conditions.

    --rustyl