[cgl_discussion] RE: [Hardeneddrivers-discuss] about

Shureih, Tariq tariq.shureih at intel.com
Fri Feb 14 10:04:50 PST 2003

I am not on thehardeneddrivers mailing list seems like it.

I took over the HDD initiative after LKML basically slaughtered the original
proposal.

I am of the opinion that hardened drivers is an incomplete statement and
more of the opinion of a hardened linux.

Since then I have been working with the kernel Janitor project and actively
following the 2.5.x development to achieve two things.

Establish a trend in the janitor project for auditing device drivers (for a
start) based on the project's TODO list and clean device drivers of known
problems/issues.  Further, publish a Drivers HOWTO-Dos and DON'Ts for
writing a robust linux kernel device driver based on best coding practices
as well as best linux details.

Second, establish the idea of a hardened linux kernel rather than just a
hardened device driver spec.  This stems from my believe that a hardened
driver (and kernel over all) is nothing more than a well thought off design,
good error management, in-place fault recovery and the obvious, good coding
discipline.

I'm barely getting my feet wet with the driver's howto, but things should
start surfacing soon.

--
Tariq Shureih
*My opinions are my own and don't represent my employer.*