[cgl_discussion] IPv6 MIBs/SNMP requirements/support

Zou, Yixiong yixiong.zou at intel.com
Thu Feb 20 14:35:25 PST 2003

Bingo! This is what I was looking for. Looks like tcpv6_mib and
udpv6_mib are still missing. We might have to add those.

> However, if you wanted to 'set' any object elements, you need
> to implement
> them through sysctl control mechanism provided by linux. You have to
> implement
> the corresponding sysctl mechanism in kernel within ipv6 to change
> the parameters. So, the bottomline - you don't need to use
> conventional
> ioctl mechanisms to set/change these parameters but use
> sysctl mechanism.

Based on the MIBs defined, these are the objects that can be "set":

    IPV6-TCP-MIB::ipv6TcpConnState
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6Forwording
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6DefaultHopLimit
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6IfDescr
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6IfIdentifier
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6IfIdentifierLength
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6IfAdminStatus
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6RouteValid
    IPV6-MIB::ipv6NetToMediaValid

Currently none of these is implemented in NET-SNMP.

> As far as changes in the net-snmp package goes, for Linux, it needs
> to use these methods (/proc/net/snmp* and /proc/sys/net/ipv[4/6]).
>
> Hope this clarifies of how you have to go about for implementing these
> objects for IPv6.

Yes. Thank you.

Yixiong Zou (yixiong.zou at intel.com)
(503) 677-4988

All views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender.