[cgl_discussion] IPv6 MIBs/SNMP requirements/support

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 20 16:44:20 PST 2003

>Well, the ipv6compliance section in the IPV6-MIB file specified that
>"An agent is not required to provide write access to this object".

Let me clarify this further. For ipv6 "compliance" of mib objects,
it is quite OK to implement at a minimum (i.e. read-only MIN-Access)
the compliance mib object group and however, if you want to
provide ipv6 "conformant" mib object support, then it needs
to support all of them with MAX-ACCESS (i.e. read-write):

At a minimum, we can choose to implement read-only access to begin
with and then extend to provide read-write access to the allowed
objects. And I am quite OK with this.

btw, if you look at more carefully snmp.h file, the ipv6 kernel has
implemented only ipv6IfStatsTable object group only, i.e.
struct ipv6_mib. It needs to be expanded or create new structs further
to support additional object groups(ipv6IfTable, ipv6AddrPrefixTable,
ipv6AddrTable, ipv6RouteTable, ipv6NetToMediaTable under IPv6 General
Group).

Since most of these object groups other than few, as you have identified,
are already supported by net-snmp, this support needs to be provided
in the kernel.

Randy, since you are looking at kernel side, you may want to think about
how to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Venkat

                      "Zou, Yixiong"
                      <yixiong.zou at intel.com>         To:       Venkata Jagana/Beaverton/IBM at IBMUS
                      Sent by:                        cc:       cgl_discussion at osdl.org
                      cgl_discussion-admin at lis        Subject:  RE: [cgl_discussion] IPv6 MIBs/SNMP requirements/support
                      ts.osdl.org

                      02/20/2003 03:38 PM

http://www.simpleweb.org/ietf/mibs/modules/html/?category=IETF&module=IPV6-M

IB

They also defined that the "Min-Access == read-only".