[cgl_discussion] Re: [OCF]draft 0.8 of the SAF Application Interface specification

Timothy D. Witham wookie at osdl.org
Tue Jan 7 08:36:38 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 07:11, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2002-12-10T11:21:38,
>    Peter Badovinatz <tabmowzo at us.ibm.com> said:
>
> Hi all, it took me a while to get to the OCF list after my shamefully long
> vacation (of which I am somehow not ashamed at all ;-), but I have a few
> thoughts to add here:
>
> > >   The main issue is that the license is revocable until this
> > > is resolved.  Because of this the risk to anybody who produces
> > > open source software based on this specification is very high.
> >
> > Intent is to address the revocation issue at the SAF Board meeting in
> > mid-January (before Linux World).
> >
> > Also, I have made arrangements for the OSDL CGL Technical working group
> > to have face to face meetings in conjunction with Linux World New York
> > (Jan 21-23).
> >
> > The SAF have requested (and I have requested of them) to have a couple
> > of their technical leads participate with OSDL CGL, so you can all find
> > out that SAF isn't simply a delusion of my imagination.
> >
> > As OCF folks will ALSO be having a face to face concurrently in NYC in
> > January, we should have all the players in one place.

  We are waiting to see the "new" license as we have given feedback as
to what it should take to make it usable for OSS developers. I
understand that we should see something on this by the end of this
month.

  I think that we will find that there is a bit of a gap between what
the SAF has specified and the base functionality that the OS has to
implement. I can't be sure as we (OSDL) haven't seen the spec but in
talking to people who have it seems that the SAF is aimed more at
application portability at the middleware level and not talking directly
to the OS.

  But I think that the SAF folks want to resolve this so that we can
start looking and determine what needs to be implemented as base OS
functionality and start filling in the gaps.

Timothy D. Witham - Lab Director - wookie at osdlab.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
15275 SW Koll Parkway - Suite H - Beaverton OR, 97006
(503)-626-2455 x11 (office)    (503)-702-2871     (cell)
(503)-626-2436     (fax)