[cgl_discussion] Re: [OCF]draft 0.8 of the SAF Application Interface specification

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Wed Jan 8 05:10:53 PST 2003

On 2003-01-07T08:36:38,
   "Timothy D. Witham" <wookie at osdl.org> said:

>   We are waiting to see the "new" license as we have given feedback as
> to what it should take to make it usable for OSS developers. I
> understand that we should see something on this by the end of this
> month.

Great.

>   I think that we will find that there is a bit of a gap between what
> the SAF has specified and the base functionality that the OS has to
> implement. I can't be sure as we (OSDL) haven't seen the spec but in
> talking to people who have it seems that the SAF is aimed more at
> application portability at the middleware level and not talking directly
> to the OS.

Well, OCF is also more about application portability; it doesn't specify
low-level OS interfaces. So that seems to be quite similar.

(Okay, so right now it specifies very little at all, but the intent was to be
'OS agnostic' as far as possible)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
Principal Squirrel
SuSE Labs - Research & Development, SuSE Linux AG

"If anything can go wrong, it will." "Chance favors the prepared (mind)."
  -- Capt. Edward A. Murphy            -- Louis Pasteur