[cgl_discussion] 01/09/2003 Poc Meeting Minutes

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Thu Jan 9 13:44:35 PST 2003

On to, 2003-01-09 at 12:50, Lynch, Rusty wrote:
(...)
> The above list will be carried to the tech board meeting.  If nobody
> volunteers for a given project, then Mika will raise the resourcing
> issue with the steering committee.  If the steering committee is unable
> to find resources to help make these features a reality then the feature
> will be dropped from the CGL requirements as was outlined in the last
> steering committee face-2-face meeting.

Let me clarify the last sentence a bit. Our goal is to get features into
"mainline", which by our definition means that:
  a) feature gets merged into the Linus kernel
 and/or
  b) 2 or more _major_ Linux distributions include the feature in their
     distributions

Now the "dropping" above does not mean that we remove the feature from
our specs, but rather that we acknowledge the situation that the feature
is not going to be mainline'd in any near future, and as such can not be
_currently_ a mandatory requirement for a CGL-compliant distro (whatever
that means).