[cgl_discussion] Re: Hot Plug support for PICMG2.16

John Grana jjg at pt.com
Mon Jan 13 06:15:00 PST 2003

Hmm, didn't see the Hotplug PCI developers info! ;-)

Greg, I had tried to email you a few weeks ago about this (I used an Soma
email address out of the 2.5 hotplug pci driver).

In any case, the identity issue is much easier in PCI since you have the bus
available and the configuration cycle all ready to provide the Vendor and
Device ID's.

In PICMG 2.16, the PCIbus is optional. And, from what I am
seeing/hearing/discussing with some of the TEM's and equipment suppliers,
most are going to 2.16 chassis with no PCIbus signaling. So, the present
hotplug code won't work...

The few responses I have received are in favor of IPMI for configuration. It
is easier then the network code (SNMP, custom port #'s) and the
hardware/software for IPMI is up and running very quickly. The only small
problem I see is that IPMI is optional in the present PICMG spec. It is
mandatory for AdvancedTCA (and maybe even the newer CompactTCA) so it is
probably a safe future model. I don't know if many PCI cards have IPMI, but
I believe it is available on some motherboards/systems.

Is IPMI the way to go?

Cheers
John Grana
jjg at pt.com