[cgl_discussion] Hot Plug support for PICMG2.16 - Closure?

John Grana jjg at pt.com
Sun Jan 19 05:27:52 PST 2003

Greetings,
	In an attempt to get the PICMG 2.16 Hot Plug issue to some kind of closure,
I wanted to summarize where I think things are and (might) go forward.

	To recap. Hot Plug for PICMG 2.16 and future CompactPCI architectures
require a change to the way the present 2.5 code handles Hot Plug. Since
there is no PCI signaling on these new backplanes, the Identity portion
needs to use a different method to identify what card is in a slot. I had
proposed 4 ideas - 3 based on ethernet/TCP and 1 on IPMI. The few responses
I received felt the network method was not ideal - took too long, etc. So,
IPMI was the choice. IPMI is optional in PICMG 2.16 (but I believe a huge
majority of manufacturers implement it) and is required in CompactTCA and
AdvancedTCA. So, summary - IPMI is the method.

	Now, the next hurdle is to specify how to use IPMI. Andrew Cress proposed a
library and driver from the SAForum that can be the basis. The one issue
appears to be in licensing - see thread below. So, we can either
beg/plead/pray they whatever the issues are get resolved or just
architect/write our own. It would be a shame to duplicate the work, but what
the heck. For Hot Identity, there is not that much to do really. I am
willing to start the begging/pleading to see how to get this done.

	Summary - IPMI is the underlying method to do Hot Identity in PICMG 2.16,
CompactTCA and AdvancedTCA systems.
	We can hope the SAforum opens it's IMPI work, or implement just what we
need.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

John Grana
jjg at pt.com
Performance Technologies, Inc.
www.pt.com