[cgl_discussion] Hot Plug support for PICMG2.16 - Closure?

Peter Badovinatz tabmowzo at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 20 06:42:05 PST 2003

John Grana wrote:

> Greetings,
>         In an attempt to get the PICMG 2.16 Hot Plug issue to some kind of closure,
> I wanted to summarize where I think things are and (might) go forward.
>
>         To recap. Hot Plug for PICMG 2.16 and future CompactPCI architectures
> require a change to the way the present 2.5 code handles Hot Plug. Since
> there is no PCI signaling on these new backplanes, the Identity portion
> needs to use a different method to identify what card is in a slot. I had
> proposed 4 ideas - 3 based on ethernet/TCP and 1 on IPMI. The few responses
> I received felt the network method was not ideal - took too long, etc. So,
> IPMI was the choice. IPMI is optional in PICMG 2.16 (but I believe a huge
> majority of manufacturers implement it) and is required in CompactTCA and
> AdvancedTCA. So, summary - IPMI is the method.

SAF HPI proposes a generic interface layer for exploiting hardware
support such as IPMI, Advanced TCA, etc.  The definitions are dependent
upon there being HW support "underneath" it for the features.  SAF has
worked to fix its licensing, the OSDL lawyers believe that it should now
be conducive to open source development.  It should be updated on their
web soon, and included in their specs.

>         Now, the next hurdle is to specify how to use IPMI. Andrew Cress proposed a
> library and driver from the SAForum that can be the basis. The one issue
> appears to be in licensing - see thread below. So, we can either
> beg/plead/pray they whatever the issues are get resolved or just
> architect/write our own. It would be a shame to duplicate the work, but what
> the heck. For Hot Identity, there is not that much to do really. I am
> willing to start the begging/pleading to see how to get this done.
>
>         Summary - IPMI is the underlying method to do Hot Identity in PICMG 2.16,
> CompactTCA and AdvancedTCA systems.
>         We can hope the SAforum opens it's IMPI work, or implement just what we
> need.

SAForum itself isn't implementing, but member companies are so something
should come available (see below).  In any case, the specification
licensing should at least be fixed by now.

> Thanks for the responses and suggestions.
>
> John Grana
> jjg at pt.com
> Performance Technologies, Inc.
> www.pt.com

Peter
--
Peter R. Badovinatz aka 'Wombat' -- IBM Linux Technology Center
preferred: tabmowzo at us.ibm.com / alternate: wombat at us.ibm.com
These are my opinions and absolutely not official opinions of IBM, Corp.