[cgl_discussion] [Timers evaluation/Validation] Notes from Timers eval team meetin g

Fleischer, Julie N julie.n.fleischer at intel.com
Wed Jan 22 13:17:32 PST 2003

Randy (cc CGL) -
Here's a summary of what we discussed today re: validation subgroup's role
in the evaluation of Timers implementations.

Overall
-------
The overall picture is that Geoff will define the background, the POSIX
requirements, and why we need high-res-timers, Randy is writing the paper
with the analysis and is performing the engineering evaluation, and Julie is
doing the validation of current implementations.

Validation Piece
----------------
At this point, it looks like everything being worked on for POSIX Test Suite
directly maps to the CGL validation of Timers.  A conformance test suite has
been created (and run against recent versions of both Timers
implementations).  The next test suites to be created are:
- Functional - Verify full behavior of clocks and timers.
- Stress/Performance - Verify/Benchmark the behavior of clocks/timers under
various load conditions.

We hope to have these tests completed by mid-February, and then a test pass
can be run against the current implementations.  (This should fit within the
proposed timeline for the project of 1-2 months.)

- Julie

**These views are not necessarily those of my employer.**