[cgl_discussion] Question for TEMs/ISVs/OEMs regarding pthread requirements

Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com
Wed Jan 22 16:22:58 PST 2003

Hi All

I am working on pthread related issues in the Linux kernel, and in one
discussion and subsequent hair pulling to evaluate the consequences, it came
to me that I needed to know what the TEMs, OEMs, and ISVs working on
middleware and/or applications need from a pthreads package.

More specifically, I need to know what are the realtime requirements of a
pthreads package regarding mutex protocols. POSIX specifies three priority
protocols, PRIO_NONE, PRIO_PROTECT and PRIO_INHERIT. Does anybody know or
rely on the three of them and extensively require, for example,
PRIO_INHERIT?

It'd be really nice if this could be passed down to architects/engineers who
could shed some light into it ...

Thanks!

PS: PRIO_NONE offers no support for priority-inversion problems,
PRIO_PROTECT offers a kind of limited protection by enforcing certain
priorities in order to acquire a mutex. PRIO_INHERIT is the most "advanced"
one, and relies on bumping up the priority of a process/thread that has
acquired a mutex and is blocking a higher priority process or thread.

Inaky Perez-Gonzalez -- Not speaking for Intel - opinions are my own [or my
fault]