[cgl_discussion] Question for TEMs/ISVs/OEMs regarding pthrea d requirements

Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky inaky.perez-gonzalez at intel.com
Thu Jan 30 12:52:18 PST 2003

Finally somebody answers!!!! Thanks a lot, Pradeep

> >More specifically, I need to know what are the realtime
> requirements of a
> >pthreads package regarding mutex protocols. POSIX specifies
> three priority
> >protocols, PRIO_NONE, PRIO_PROTECT and PRIO_INHERIT. Does
> anybody know or
> >rely on the three of them and extensively require, for example,
> >PRIO_INHERIT?
>
> Some of the applications that we are developing, rely on
> PRIO_INHERIT to
> avoid priority inversion problem.

Well, the point I am trying to make here if is it is worth to implement
them, because they are a royal PITA; they create so many problems that just
thinking about it gives me headaches.

> What tools will you provide to applications if
> this option is not supported.

It is hard to tell, because once you have an application relying on that,
probably the only way to avoid using it is redesigning the application and I
am sure you don't want to do it. Hmmm ...

Can you give me a rough usage model of the applications that use them? I
mean, how many threads/processes with different priorities, the
interdependencies, consumer/producer, etc?

Thanks, I really appreciate your input

Inaky Perez-Gonzalez -- Not speaking for Intel - opinions are my own [or my
fault]