[cgl_discussion] Re: panic handler enh in tracking list (was RE: [cgl_discussion] Revised "Top 10" projects list)

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Jul 1 16:26:55 PDT 2003

Fleischer, Julie N wrote:

>>Julie,
>>
>>I was looking at this spreadsheet and I have a couple of tweaks:
>>For line 33, Panic Handler Enhancements:
>>    "This functionality is all in the IPMI driver"  should be
>>    "Part of this functionality is in the IPMI driver".
>>The main gap between the IPMI driver implementation and the
>>panicsel patch is that the IPMI driver only flags that a
>>panic has occurred, but does not include the panic string
>>bytes, or other indication of the panic type.
>>

>Thanks.  I've updated in the latest XLS.  Let me know if I didn't
>capture this correctly.
>

>>This also
>>affects column F on line 35.  "full" -> "most/part".
>>

>I changed this too.  Is that for panic handler enhancements or IPMI?
>Maybe I should add a separate line for IPMI....  Does panicsel implement
>the full requirement?
>

>>Also, the panicsel kernel patch and the accompanying
>>utilities are fully included & supported in
>>MontaVista CGE 2.1 and CGE 3.0, so that column G should be
>>changed from "Unlikely" to "Supported".
>>I don't know for sure whether it is included in UL 1.0 or
>>RedHat EL 3.0.
>>

>This one I'm hoping Steve can answer as I'm unsure why he wrote
>unlikely, unless it was because going forward MV plans on using IPMI
>(or, maybe I had a cut and paste error).

I put unlikely because I was unaware that the IPMI kernel driver didn't
meet the full requirements and have all of the functionality that
Andrew's panicsel project included.  For CGE 2.1 and 3.0 products, we
include the panicsel kernel and user utilities.  For our latest product,
we are relying on only the IPMI project for panic system even logging.

Since the IPMI driver has been integrated into the kernel, perhaps
Andrew could work with the maintainer of IPMI driver to include the
features that are additional to IPMI into that particular driver?  This
would provide full functionality and roll the two projects into one and
provide instant mainline to the functioinalities the panicsel project
desires to achieve?