[cgl_discussion] linux-ha as a PoC for CCM.1 Cluster Communication Service

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Tue Jul 8 13:18:36 PDT 2003

> Patrick, you're a Kernel hacker ;-)  How about a CGL patch set like the
> one Randy is maintaining for KJP which you push into LKML?  (holding my
> breath)

No. For several reasons.

I do not think it is aligned with the goals of the CGL project. The target
is not to maintain a version of the OS, it is to spell out what is
required in a version of the OS. Right?

There is a necessity to do kernel-level development to get Linux to run
well in the carrier grade space. However, bundling these changes into one
tree does not guarantee that someone will use actually use it. I'm not
interested in maintaining a tree that is not going to be used by anyone.
(Especially when I don't incentive to use it myself ;).

Besides, the steep majority of patches that I've seen from this group are
2.4 based. I do only 2.5+ work, and am not prepared to take the step back
to 2.4.

I do not immediately have the bandwidth to develop, integrate, and test
(and port!) the plethora of features that CGL contains.

I am also not going to launder code or promote code that I disagree with
or I find disgusting. If such a thing were to happen, it would be purely
form an integration standpoint. I would forward obvious fixes and
improvements upstream, but I am not going to stand behind something I
vehemently dislike (e.g. SDEQ).

	-pat