[cgl_discussion] Re: Ottawa Map

Karl Klashinsky klash at cisco.com
Wed Jul 16 11:04:16 PDT 2003

I mentioned off-line to Steven, but might as well chime in here, since I
lived in Ottawa.  Although my experience in that city is dated (88-94),
I'll do my best to provide guidance and recommendations where
appropriate -- restaurants, museums, etc.

Yes, the so-called Byward Market area is really just right for wandering
around on foot and choosing the place/menu that looks good.  Lots of
variety and price ranges.

The Market area is the area immediately to the North of the orange
region on Steven's map -- you can tell by all the green dots
(restaurants) in the area. 8*)

Generally speaking, there are no bad restaurants in the Market... with
all the competition, Darwinism weeds out the bad ones in very short
order.  So, unless a restaurant is brand-spanking new or just opened,
you can count on it being pretty good.

FWIW, I would recommend a few other places besides the ones that Steven
has listed.  Pick my brain at the meetings, I'll do what I can to play
guide.  Note also, I have a fun outing in mind for wed evening, for
those that are still around.  Talk to me at the meeting(s) if you are
interested.

Oh, and more info... another good restaurant/bar area is along Elgin
St., which you can just see leading off the south end of Steven's map.
Carry on a few blocks, and you're in the Elgin St. strip, lots to choose
from there, too -- Big Daddy's Crab Shack being one of my fave's for
food, and you absolutely must check out the Mayflower Pub, tucked behind
the restaurant of the same name.

If you're in one of the Market area hotels, a pleasant way shake off
those all-day meeting cobwebs is to stroll around Parliament Hill (old
buildings, statues, and views), continue along the Rideau Canal a few
long blocks (their are footpaths beside the canal), then cut across the
very nice residential neighbourhood to Elgin St. and find a place to
eat.

Anyway, more when we're on-location.

--
klash        |       |      Child Logic: An unbreakable toy is useful
            .|.     .|.     for breaking other toys.