[cgl_discussion] linux-ha as a PoC for CCM.1 Cluster Communication Service

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Thu Jul 24 11:34:29 PDT 2003

Sorry for very late replay (vacation), but I want to wrap this one:

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 09:22, Patrick Mochel wrote:
(...)
> Something that has been occuring to me in recent flurry of project
> analysis to fulfill CGL requirements is that the projects and/or people
> involved are not contacted at all to determine whether or not they may or
> may not meet your requirements in the future.

Trust me, we have debated a bit about this during last 12 months, when
PoC has been active (I recall the "official" kick-off of PoC was last
August F2F).

I think the basic problem is who should do the contacting, and how:
should OSDL do it, should members do it under OSDL/CGL name, or by
themselves?

After the demise of CGLE (RIP), we went back to square one with this,
and have not moved from there, because contacting project IN A
MEANINGFULL WAY (submit comments, patches etc.) requires a lot of work,
and there is nowhere near resources available for CGL to achieve that,
which is kind of sad when you consider that some of these projects are
already participated/lead by the member companies.

CGL-WG is as good as it's members want/enable it to be, and on this area
it does not seem to be much, and I do not see any short term ways to
improve it significantly.

> The current practice is not very community-oriented.  Although the CGL
> project has not had a great reception in the past, it is imperative that
> you communicate with the other Open Source projects you're evaluating
> using.

We do have the tracking sheet (old:
http://www.osdl.org/docs/cgl_development_project_list.pdf, new:
http://www.osdl.org/cgi-bin/eidetic.cgi?command=display&modulename=folders&on=10), but as it is a work in progress we have not made much of a noise about it.

> You guys are (still) the new kids at school. No one is going to come
> running over to be your friends; you have to talk to the other kids and
> make yourselves likeable. :)

Yeah, we know this, but one thing that at least puzzles me time to time
is that why this "school" is so bloody hostile towards new "kids",
especially those with "rich parents" (i.e. with corporative background).

For example in Ottawa I was introduced to one developer who immediately
said "oh, that awful CGL", and when I proceeded to ask what was so awful
about CGL, all I could get out was bunch of misconceptions and FUD.

<sigh> Never mind, I am just having my usual post vacation blues.