[cgl_discussion] rpm rollback failed transaction patch...

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Tue Jun 3 09:22:31 PDT 2003

Hello James!

Sorry about our lack of response, we have been quite busy in finalizing
our v2.0 spec. Anyway, I looked at your web site (link below) and I
think the concept looked good.

Concerning our specs, we do have a requirement for remote upgrade
automatic rollback, and we'll add your web page as a PoC referral
to that one. Thanks!

--MiKu

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 11:14, James Olin Oden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Presently, rpm's behavior is such that if an rpm in a transaction
> fails it will continue trying to deliver the remaining rpms.
> In a CGL type environment I don't think that is the right behavior.
> So I have produced a patch for rpm that will allow you to configure
> rpm such that when a transaction fails it will roll the transaction back.
>
> I have created a website that has binary rpms of rpm 4.2 built with this
> patch, and the srpm that built the binary rpms:
>
> 	http://lee.k12.nc.us/~joden/misc/patches/rpm/
>

> If you check the recent archives of the rpm-list you will find quite
> a bit of discussion concerning the development of this patch.  In short
> though it takes the follwoing strategy:
>
>    if rpm is configured to rollback failed transactions and the
>    current transaction is not a rollback transaction:
>        Create a rollback transaction.
>        As each element (install or erase) in the currently running
>        transaction succeeds add either its repackaged package
>        or its db instance to the rollback transaction.
>        On failure of any package after entering the package state machine
>        run the rollback transaction.
>

> I would appreciate any comments on it, and furthermore would like
> to spur others on to further make rpms transactional rollback features
> be more robust.  My goal is of course a stable upgrade and backout
> mechanism for linux.
>
> Cheers...james

Mika Kukkonen <mika at osdl.org>
OSDL