[cgl_discussion] RE: MV open projects analysis

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Jun 24 14:58:33 PDT 2003

Rusty Lynch wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 14:16, Patrick Mochel wrote:
>

>>Hi there.
>>

>>>PDF is updated too at:
>>>http://www.osdl.org/docs/cgl_20_p1_project_list___pdf_format.pdf.
>>>

>>A couple of points on the "Hot Device Identity" Requirement, from a 2.5
>>developer standpoint.
>>
>>udev, and associated sysfs utilities, are intended to become the de facto
>>standard for supporting persistant device data, including naming. There is
>>a lot of work going on in this area, though more is greatly welcome (hint,
>>hint ;).
>>
>>It does currently only work for a subset of devices, but that is not a
>>long-term limitation. As more device subsystems are converted to the 2.5
>>driver model, more subsystems will be supported by udev. Some patches are
>>pending (e.g. input devices), and more are yet come.
>>
>>As for MontaVista's SDEF utility, I strongly suggest you reconsider it's
>>entry in the spreadsheet. First of all, the intent of the work is
>>completely unaligned with the short-term and long-term goals of the
>>relevant kernel developers, and is not supported at all by said parties.
>>While it may suffice as a solution for 2.4-based distribution, it will be
>>made irrelevant by udev and friends in the 2.6 time frame.
>>
>>Secondly, it's vaporware. It has not been released, and there is no
>>guarantee that it will be. It is shamelessly self-promoting, and in poor
>>taste, IMO. No where else in the document are entries for ficticious
>>projects. I suggest removing it for the sake of consistency and honesty.
>>

>>	-pat
>>

>My understanding was that Monta Vista's new implementation was built on
>top of udev.  Am I mistaken?

Rusty,

MontaVista's System Device Enumeration Framework is an entirely new
implementation based upon previous user space work and kernel work.
 From my viewpoint, the kernel work MontaVista has done in the past
relating to system device enumeration didn't fit well with the kernel
community views as MontaVista was developing competing kernel
interfaces.  We have now dropped that kernel work and instead focus
entirely in userspace, requiring little kernel modification to be useful.