[cgl_discussion] RE: MV open projects analysis

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Tue Jun 24 15:14:45 PDT 2003

> The intent of the work is entirely aligned with the 2.6 kernel.
> MontaVista is using standard interfaces, such as sysfs and
> /sbin/hotplug.  The intent of system device enumeration framework is to
> provide a complete solution on 2.5 kernel+ without any major
> modifications to the kernel.

I stand corrected. Glad to see you're finally coming around. :)

> I really don't see any problem with
> competing projects such as Nokia's HDI project or Greg KH's udev project
> being listed in the PoC references.  Competition is _what_ makes Linux
> better.  What project you choose to use is certainly your decision,
> however, there are specific customer requirements that are not met by
> the current solutions available which is why MontaVista is actively
> investing in this area.

I agree. I was merely pointing out that udev is the direction that we're
heading, from a kernel standpoint.

While one is free to implement the solution they feel appropriate in their
distro, it's also to good to have One Right Solution(tm). ;)

	-pat