[cgl_discussion] RE: MV open projects analysis

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Tue Jun 24 15:17:14 PDT 2003

Patrick Mochel wrote:

>>The intent of the work is entirely aligned with the 2.6 kernel.
>>MontaVista is using standard interfaces, such as sysfs and
>>/sbin/hotplug.  The intent of system device enumeration framework is to
>>provide a complete solution on 2.5 kernel+ without any major
>>modifications to the kernel.
>>

>I stand corrected. Glad to see you're finally coming around. :)
>

>>I really don't see any problem with
>>competing projects such as Nokia's HDI project or Greg KH's udev project
>>being listed in the PoC references.  Competition is _what_ makes Linux
>>better.  What project you choose to use is certainly your decision,
>>however, there are specific customer requirements that are not met by
>>the current solutions available which is why MontaVista is actively
>>investing in this area.
>>

>I agree. I was merely pointing out that udev is the direction that we're
>heading, from a kernel standpoint.

The wonderful concept that Greg KH has developed in his udev package is
definately the way devices should be enumerated. What the exact
requirements are from a customer standpoint, I think, is where the
current competition arises from. If everyone agreed on the requirements,
one project would probably fit the bill :)