[cgl_discussion] PoC 6/2/5/03 Meeting Minutes

Patrick Mochel mochel at osdl.org
Wed Jun 25 10:32:32 PDT 2003

> Status of SDE
> -------------
> Project progressing.  Discussion about parent needed from scsi device
> to scsi host to pci device.  parent's needed for all devices, not just
> SCSI devices.  MontaVista working on attributes for this kind of
> functionality.

I'm not sure I understand this issue about parenting.

For device naming, the physical location of a device is irrelevant,
especially since it can change. The things you're likely to care about are
what type of device it is (e.g.  disk, mouse, etc) and what instance it
is. IOW, you care about the class information for the device.

For persistant device naming, you're also going to need some sort of
unique identifier for the device, which should be exported via an
attribute in the device's directory. Determining a consistent ID format is
tricky; it must be simple and make sense across different bus and class
types.

	-pat