[cgl_discussion] cgl patches

Mika Kukkonen mika at osdl.org
Wed Mar 5 11:48:43 PST 2003

On ke, 2003-03-05 at 11:22, Ibrahim Haddad (LMC) wrote:
> Since no one is really trying to maintain the patches, I assume that
> a case where a patch from member company A can break a patch coming
> from member company B could exist? If so, how to prevent this?

When CGLE and even later the CGL-kernel patch was ramped down, one
rationale for that was that we were just duplicating the work done by
the distro companies. So the answer to the problem you are raising is
simply that it is _not_ CGL-WG's headache, but instead it is the distro
companies (or some other entity's who will be creating a CGL compliant
Linux OS) headache to resolve patch conflicts.

I know several people think that this is not "optimal" state of affairs,
but that just happens to be how it is, and I have no wish to go through
again the pain and waste of effort we had with CGLE.

> Is there somewhere a list of all needed patches and relative web sites
> where we can go get them?

A web page with list of CGL "affiliated" projects and links to them is
planned for OSDL web site, but I have no ETA for that... Dave?