[cgl_discussion] questions on AEM article

Dave Olien dmo at osdl.org
Thu Mar 20 11:31:20 PST 2003

I've looked over your AEM article.  I had few questions.

One question I've had regarding asynchronous event notification APIs like
this one.  Asynchronous Event notification has some of the same
characteristics of signal delivery.

For example, doesnt AEM have issues similar to the thread safety and
asynchronous signal safety of library routines?  Often times, library
routines are made signal safe by adding calls to block signals during
critical portions of the library routine.  In the thread safety case,
library routines sometimes block signals and then acquire a user-level
lock to serialize concurrent calls.  The library needs to block signals
to prevent deadlock.

Does your API have any way to defer delivery of event notifcation?
If not, why isn't one needed?